Most of us in the workforce are used to a typical 9 to 5 type of office hours, but increases in demand for products have led to a more 24-hour type of scheduling where companies have employees working around the clock in shifts that are either daytime, nighttime, and some in between. This gives companies employee coverage at almost all hours of the day to increase productivity. This doesn’t mean you work a 24 or even 12 hour day, this just means companies have typically 3 employee pools. One pool that works during the day, a second pool working mid-day into the late evening, and a final pool working overnight. And while many employees typically shy away from overnight shifts others are realizing the opportunities that lie beyond these typical hours that can often better suit their needs and lifestyle, opportunities, and flexibility for those who seek them. If you’re on the fence of working a night shift, we’ve put together a few reasons you may want to consider.
- Increased Incentives: Oftentimes it is hard for employers to find employees who are willing to work these shifts, so they often offer better pay, bonuses, etc. as an incentive to work non-traditional hours, this is known as a “night shift differential.”
- Faster Commute: When working the nightshift you miss the typical “rush hour” traffic, allowing for a faster, easier, and stress-free commute to work.
- Increased Flexibility: You’ll still be on a sleep schedule, but having free time during the day allows you to run errands, go to your kid’s games and recitals, pursue a new hobby, or even go back to school while many others are working.
- Increased Concentration: Another perk of working a night shift is that staffing is often decreased leaving you more time to focus on your tasks without having to be worried or bothered by a coworker. These shifts are often much quieter overall which can lead to an increase in job satisfaction and a decrease in stress.
- Increased Opportunities: Fewer people will apply for these jobs leaving lesser competition and increased chance of not only being hired, but also an increased chance for promotion.
Now that you know the benefits of working a night shift, you’ll see that there is much to be desired. If you have the lifestyle that fits this schedule and are interested in seeing open positions, visit our website to see what’s available and apply today!